THIRD GREEN TOURISM SUMMIT ENDS IN NAIROBI AS DATES ARE SET FOR 2018
(Posted 15th June 2017)
After three intense days of presentations, panel discussions and audience interaction is the 3rd Green Tourism Summit now drawing to a close.
During the afternoon session were the students at the centre of discussions and were able to explain to the audience their interest in sustainability and green best practices.
Then it was time for the Mazingira Awards 2017 announcements which for the past few years formed part and parcel of the annual STTA Green Conferences.
The Mazingira Innovation Awards by STTA is an award program by STTA that aims is to expose, recognize and appreciate green innovations that safeguard the environment, and local livelihoods and promote sustainable production and consumption.
The award has three objectives:
- Encourage local community participation in sustainable development by promoting the integration of indigenous knowledge, nature based solutions and other innovative approaches in mitigating negative impacts on the environment and in addressing climate change.
- Promote protection of urban green spaces
- Promote innovations in waste management, energy management and water resource management in hotels/lodges in protected areas
- Innovation in Energy management
- Innovation in Water management
- Innovation in Waste management
- Innovation in Environmental rehabilitation & restoration
- Innovation in Community Environmental Education/awareness Programs
- Innovation in Integrated livelihood program
And the winners in the various categories were as follows:
Waste Water Management
Sarova Mara Game Camp
Solid Waste Management
Used Waste Oil Management
Thanks are especially expressed to WWF Kenya for their support to STTA to make the evaluation of applicants possible and sponsored the award trophies.
And with the 3rd Green Tourism Summit now ended, it is a big thank you to the Park Inn Westlands for their hospitality, to WWF Kenya, Netfund, AFEW, Uniglobe Lets Go Travel, Fairview Estate and Br!ght.
More information and especially the presentations will be available via the STTA website over the coming days via www.sttakenya.org