|Raise a glass to oneworld – best alliance for wines
Judges at a leading wine-tasting competition have raised their glasses to the oneworld® alliance and many of its member airlines.
oneworld is named the best alliance for wine in the 2017 Wines on the Wing survey published today by US magazine Global Traveler – regaining an award it previously won two years ago.
The result echoes the findings of the Cellars in the Sky awards presented by the UK’s Business Traveller in February this year – and retained by oneworld for multiple years – which means that oneworld’s now holds both awards presented to recognise the quality the wines served by member airlines of a global alliance.
Besides winning the “best alliance” title, oneworld’s member airlines also flew high in the Global Traveler Wines on the Wing awards – just as they did in Business Traveller’s Cellars in the Sky.
American Airlines received the toast as best North American airline for wines in First/Business Class, as well as taking gold for North American First/Business Class White Wine and Red Wine and a silver award for International First Class Champagne.
American and British Airways, along with airberlin, also took several runners-up placings.
Thirty two airlines submitted 56 white wines, 61 red wines and 28 champagne or sparkling wines currently served on their international Business Class and North American premium class wine lists for a blind taste test in the Wines on the Wing awards. The tasting was organised by Global Traveler magazine, using 21 independent judges who are noted wine-industry experts.
This latest award further confirms oneworld’s standing as the most highly prized global airline alliance. Besides the two wine awards, oneworld is the current holder of seven “best airline alliance” titles:
- 2017 Trazees Favorite Airline Alliance, for the second time.
- Global Traveler magazine’s 2016 GT Tested Reader Survey – for the seventh year in a row.
- FlightStats’ Airline Alliance On-Time Performance Service Award for 2016, for the fourth year running.
- Business Traveller’s 2016 Best Airline Alliance for the fourth year running.
- Business Traveler North America’s 2016 Best in Business Travel Awards, for the second consecutive year.
- World Travel Awards’ World’s Leading Airline Alliance 2016 for the 14th year running.
- Premier Traveler’s Best of Travel Awards – for the third year running.
For full details of Global Traveler’s Wines on the Wing awards 2017, see Global Traveler’s news release.
oneworld is an alliance of some of the world’s leading airlines, committed to providing the highest level of service and convenience to frequent international travellers. They include airberlin, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, S7 Airlines and SriLankan Airlines, and around 30 affiliates.
As part of oneworld, these airlines:
- Serve more than a thousand airports in 150 plus countries, with 14,000 daily departures.
- Carry some 550 million passengers a year on a combined fleet of 3,500 aircraft.
- Generate US$ 130 billion annual revenues.
oneworld member airlines work together to deliver consistently a superior, seamless travel experience, with special privileges and rewards for frequent flyers, including earning and redeeming miles and points across the entire alliance network. Top tier cardholders (Emerald and Sapphire) enjoy access to more than 650 airport lounges and are offered extra baggage allowances. The most regular travellers (Emerald) can also use fast track security lanes at select airports.