#UNWTO TOURISM MINISTER SUMMIT TAKES PLACE DURING #WTM2017 IN #LONDON
(Posted 03rd November 2017)
60 Tourism Ministers and Private Sector leaders gather to discuss ‘overtourism’
Ministers of Tourism from 60 countries and leaders from private sector companies and associations will summon next week at the Ministers Summit organized by the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and the World Travel Market in London to discuss the challenges of sustainable tourism.
The 11th edition of the UNWTO/WTM Ministers’ Summit to be held on 07th of November under the title ‘Overtourism: growth is not the enemy; it is how we manage it’ will address issues such as congestion management, the measurement of the impacts of tourism or the role of the private sector in promoting tourism as an effective tool to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
As stated by UNWTO Secretary-General Dr. Taleb Rifai ‘Growth is not the enemy. Growing numbers are not the enemy. Growth is the eternal story of mankind. Tourism growth can and should lead to economic prosperity, jobs and resources to fund environmental protection and cultural preservation, as well as community development and progress needs, which would otherwise not be available‘.
The Summit will be moderated by CNN International’s Max Foster. Confirmed speakers include:
– H.E. Mr. Mauricio Ventura Aragón, Minister of Tourism, Costa Rica
– H.E. Ms. Elena Kountoura, Minister of Tourism, Greece
– Mr. Ryoichi Matsuyama, President, Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO)
– H.E. Mr. Enrique de la Madrid, Secretary of Tourism, Mexico
– H.E. Mr. Khalid Jasim Al Midfa, Chairman, Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority (SCTDA), United Arab Emirates
– H.E. Mr. John Glen, Minister of Arts Heritage and Tourism, United Kingdom
– Mr. Istvan Ujhelyi, Vice-Chair of the Committee on Transport and Tourism, European Parliament
– Ms. Gloria Guevara, President and CEO, World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC)
– Mr. Patrick Robinson, Head of Policy for EMEA, Airbnb
– Ms. Inge Huijbrechts, Vice President Responsible Business, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
– Ms. Kate Gibson, Vice President,Global Corporate Responsibility, Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG)
– Mr. Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio, Chairman, Silversea Cruises
Additional information can be found through the following link: