5 HIGHLIGHTS OF THE LAGOS TOURISM SUMMIT 2018
The maiden edition of the Lagos State Tourism Summit took place on Monday, 16th of April 2018, at Eko Hotel & Suites with over 700 tourism stakeholders present, including the Governor of Lagos State – Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, the ex-president of Ghana – Mr. John Mahama, the Federal Minister of Information & Culture – Mr. Lai Mohammed, and the Lagos State Commissioner of Tourism, Arts & Culture – Mr. Steve Ayorinde. Below is my highlight of the event:
- The program started exactly by 10:00AM and ended by about 5:00PM. It was a full day’s program discussing the future of tourism in Lagos.
- I met several greats and stakeholders in the tourism industry, like Nike Davies Okundaye – the owner/curator of Nike Art Gallery, Mo Abudu – Founder of Ebony Life Tv, Olawanle Akinboboye – Founder La Campagne Tropicana Beach Resort, Mr. Ikechi Uko – Tourism Ambassador and Founder of AKWAABA, James MacGregor – President of Eco Planet.
- Ikechi Uko spoke on the topic M.I.C.E. And he encouraged that Nigeria should have more world centric or African centric events which would drive in tourist from all over, based on the fact that they would be motivated to come for such events. An example is the World Cup, or African Drum Festival.
- Paul Onwuanibe – Group Chief Executive of Landmark Africa, mentioned that his company has an ongoing project of over a 10,000 sitter hall, which would contribute to the long term growth of tourism in Lagos being a multi-purpose hall.
- Now this not a highlight, it is more of a lowlight (if that counts for anything).. I DID NOT EAT! I was there for 9 good hours, and I did not EAT. Now this is not because there was no food, infact there was plenty, and it was FREE. I only got to know about this towards the end of the program, when a friend told me how she took pounded yam with cake. Please ask me where I was when people were eating? I was busy networking! I did not realize there was free food waiting somewhere for me.
What would you do if you were in my shoes? All the same, the program went well, and I will be anticipating the complete tourism master plan for the State just as everyone is.
Follow me on Twitter @TheFisayo
Follow me on Instagram @TheFisayo