ENDESHAW ABEBE APPOINTED AS CEO OF NEW ZAMBIA AIRWAYS
(Posted 08th February 2019)
The newly inaugurated Board of Directors of Zambia Airways (2014) Limited yesterday announced the appointment of Mr. Endeshaw Abebe as the airline’s new Chief Executive Officer.
Members of the Board, appointed in December last year by the Zambian government, were named as
- Mr. Bonaventure Mutale S.C., – A senior member of the legal profession and Former Attorney General;
- Mr. Robinson Misitala – An Aeronautical Engineer, aircraft accidents investigations specialist and Aviation business Executive who previously served as Managing Director at National Airports Corporation; and
- Mr. Misheck Lungu, Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Transport and Communication
- The other members of the Board appointed in line with the Shareholders Agreement between IDC and Ethiopian Airlines are:
- Mr. Tewolde GebreMariam – Group Chief Executive Officer for Ethiopian Airlines;
- Mrs. Rahel Assefa – Vice President Marketing for Ethiopian Airlines;
- Mr. Kassim Geresu – Vice President Internal Audit & Compliance for Ethiopian Airlines
While making the announcement did the Board also confirm that a directive was issued to the newly recruited CEO that the airline should commence operations by Quarter 3 of 2019.
Abebe joins Zambia Airways from Ethiopian Airlines where his most recent position – after serving for nearly a quarter of a century with Africa’s leading airline – was that of Regional Director Sales for Southern Africa.
The Zambian government, through the Industrial Development Company – a parastatal body – entered into a shareholder agreement with Ethiopian Airlines last year to revive the defunct national airline of Zambia and the CEO appointment takes the relaunch a step closer towards that goal.