AFRICAN SPORTS DESTINATION AWARDS
(Posted 17th July 2019)
The organizers of African Sports Tourism Week have announced that there will be an addition of awards to the annual week-long sports travel market event, where sports and tourism stakeholders cross-breed ideas and exchange a hand of fellowship, towards socioeconomic gains for Africa and her nations.
According to Deji Ajomale-McWord, President of African Sports Tourism Week, “African Sports Destination Awards is the headliner of The African Sports Tourism Week. The purpose is to celebrate corporate brands, sports hospitality brands, sports tour operators and destinations with the right mix of African brand of allure that culminates in arrivals, while minding global best practices. The goal is to give players in the sports tourism industry, one grand reason to up their game or maintain their ‘A’ game, year in, year out”.
He then added:
‘Our objectives are to:
• Drive more public attention towards sports tourism as one of the fastest growing industries in the world
• Encourage governments and corporate brands to put in more efforts in inspiring more arrivals through sports
• Set benchmark of excellence
• Be The Oscars of the sports tourism industry in Africa
• Set the tone for the future of an Africa where sport is constantly seen and treated as tourism”.
Votes are divided between the public and the Jury. The Public includes anyone who finds a nominee worthy of his or her vote. The Jury comprises members are tour operators, destination marketing companies, independent industry insiders and writers/bloggers from both sports and tourism industries. Their responsibility is to give an unreservedly unbiased verdict, that augment the public choices at ‘the poll’.A few of the categories will be solely decided by the verdict of The Jury, therefore, they won’t be open to the public.
The voting platform is now open as of the 16th of July and will run until the 7th of September. Winners will be declared at the awards ceremony in Accra, Ghana, on the 20th of September, 2019.
Voters are required to click the link beneath each of the categories, to cast their votes.
EMERGING SPORTS DESTINATION (CITY) Nominees
• Kigali, Rwanda• Sal, Cabo Verde• Malabo, Equatorial Guinea• Uyo, Nigeria https://forms.gle/XCVttw9mhD2Ryaf77
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (East Africa) Nominees
• Sea Cliff Resort & Spa, TZ• Lake Victoria Golf Resort, UG• Vipingo Ridge Golf Estate, Kenya • Windsor Golf Hotel, Kenya
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (Central Africa) Nominees
• Sofitel Malabo Sipopo Le Golf, EG• Grand Hotel Djibloho, EG
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (Southern Africa) Nominees
• Fancourt Hotel, George, SA• Elephant Hills Resort, Zimbabwe• Phakalane Golf Estate Hotel Resort, Botswana • Sun City Resort, SA
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (West Africa) Nominees
• The Lansdown Resort, GH• Kangimi Resort, Fifth Chukker, NG• Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort, NG• The Royal Senchi, GH
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (Indian Ocean) Nominees
• Constance Lemuria Resort, Seychelles• Heritage Le Telfair Golf & Wellness Resort• Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort, Mauritius• Azura Golf Resort & Spa, Madagascar
BEST SPORTS RESORT/HOTEL (North Africa) Nominees
• Mazagan Beach & Resort, Morocco• Hilton Pyramids Golf, Egypt• The Residence Tunis, Tunisia
BEST SPORTS ESTATE Nominees
• Pearl Valley, Val de Vie, Cape Town
• Lakowe Lakes Golf & Country Estate Lagos
• Fancourt Golf Estate, George
• Villa Samanah , Marrakech
NOSTALGIC SPORTS DESTINATION Nominees
• Calabar• Zamalek• Pietemaritzburg • Lagos
SPORTS HIVE OF THE YEAR Nominees
• Johannesburg• Uyo• Marrakech• Accra
BEST GOLF DESTINATION Nominees
• South Africa• Kenya• Morocco• Mauritius
CHAMPIONS OF SPORTS TOURISM Nominees
• Integral Sande, Nigeria • African Origin Travel & Tourism, Ghana• Global Golf, Nigeria • AS Sports Tours, South Africa
BEST ADVENTURE SPORTS DESTINATION Nominees
• South Africa• Kenya• Zimbabwe• Tanzania
BEST SYNERGY BETWEEN SPORTS & TOURISM Nominees
• South Africa• Kenya• Morocco • Rwanda
LEADING WATERWAYS SPORTS DESTINATION Nominees
• Cape Town, SA• Beau Vallon, Seychelles• Trou d’eau Douse, Mauritius • Essaouira, Morocco• Mombasa, Kenya