WELCOME JAN SMETS WHO TAKES OVER FROM ETIENNE DAVIGNON AS CO-CHAIR OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AS AIRLINE REVEALS NOW BOARD COMPOSITION
(Posted 16th April 2020)
While Etienne Davignon remains on the Board of Directors in his new capacity as Minister of State for the Belgian government, has Jan Smet, a former Governor of Belgium’s Central Bank joined the board as Co-Chairman.
Also new on the board is former CEO and now a member of Lufthansa’ Executive Board, Christina Foerster, who was succeeded late last year as CEO by Dieter Vranckx.
Wrote Etienne Davignon when the announcement was made: “Brussels Airlines is facing turbulent times. With his renowned expertise in economics and in-depth international experience, Jan is the right person to support the Management Board of Brussels Airlines in guiding Belgium’s home carrier through the unprecedented crisis caused by worldwide Coronavirus pandemic. In parallel, I am very happy to welcome Christina Foerster in the Board. As former CEO of Brussels Airlines and member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board, her extensive knowledge of both entities are definitely of an added value to Brussels Airlines.”
Etienne served for 18 years on the board of directors of SN Airholding, guiding Brussels Airlines through challenging times after the airline took to the air following the demise of SABENA. Etienne Davignon said he believes the time is right to hand over his Co-Chairman responsibilities to Jan Smets.
The new Board of Directors of SN Airholding consists now of the following members:
- Jan Smets, Former Governor of the National Bank of Belgium (Co-Chairman)
- Thorsten Dirks, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board & Chief Officer IT, Digital & Innovation (Co-Chairman)
- Minister of State Etienne Davignon
- Heike Birlenbach, Senior Vice President Sales Lufthansa Group Network Airlines & CCO Hub Frankfurt
- Christina Foerster, Member of the Lufthansa Group Executive Board, Customer & Corporate Responsibility and former CEO of Brussels Airlines