Botswana’s Department of Meteorological Services (DMS) has released the meteorological winter outlook 2020 for Botswana. According to the DMS, northern Botswana will most likely experience largely normal temperatures with a tendency to below-normal during the period from May to July 2020, while it is expected that southern and eastern Botswana will experience normal to above normal temperatures during this period.
- Temperatures over the northern parts of Botswana (Ngamiland, Chobe and northern parts of the Central Districts) are expected to be largely normal with a tendency to below. Normal maximum and minimum temperatures are 27.4°C and 9°C respectively.
- Temperatures over the eastern parts of Botswana (Northeast and southern parts of the Central Districts) are expected to be normal with a tendency to above. Normal maximum and minimum temperatures are 24°C and 7°C respectively.
- Temperatures over the southern and western parts of Botswana (Kgalagadi, Ghanzi, Southern, Southeast, Kgatleng and Kweneng) are also expected to be normal with a tendency to above. Normal maximum and minimum temperatures are 23.6°C and 5°C respectively.
- Below normal rainfall is expected countrywide (normal rainfall for winter is about 2mm)
- The DMS advices that cold spells will be experienced from time to time during this period.