Namibia’s President Hage Geingob has announced during a media briefing to update the nation on the latest COVID-19 situation in the country on 12 August 2020 that all 14 regions of Namibia revert to or remain on stage three of the COVID-19 state of emergency for a period of 16 days as from midnight on 12 August 2020 until 28 August 2020. This is due to the the increasing numbers and distribution of cases of Covid-19 across the country. The Government also adjusted its measures to combat Covid-19. The measures are as follows (travel-related only):
- All 14 regions of Namibia will revert to, or remain on stage three level of restrictions unter the Covid-19 State of Emergency for a period of 16 days from midnight on 12 August 2020 until 28 August 2020.
- The measures currently applicable to the Walvis Bay Local Authority, the Swakopmund Local Authority and the Arandis Local Authority are now also applicable to the Windhoek Local Authority (incl. Okahandja Local Authority and Rehoboth Local Authority) for a period of 16 days from midnight on 12 August 2020 until 28 August 2020.
- Travel into and out of these restricted Local Authority Areas to the rest of Namibia is restricted to emergency situations only. Any person leaving the restricted areas, apart from critical and essential service providers, will be quarantined at own cost upon arrival at destination. Although travel within Namibia, with the exception of the restricted Local Authorities, is allowed the public is cautioned against unnecessary travels.
- Trading hours for the sale of alcohol are 12:00 to 18:00 Monday to Friday and from 09:00 to 13:00 on Saturdays- No sale of alcohol permitted on Sundays and public holidays.
- No movement of persons permitted in the restricted Local Authorities between 20:00 to 05:00 daily, during the specified period (except of essential service providers with in possession of an authorizing permit.
- Across Namibia, public gatherings are limited to 10 persons (incl. weddings, funerals and religious gatherings).
- The issuance of permits for travel from and to restricted areas to attend social events (weddings, church events etc.) is strictly prohibited, except for funerals of immediate family members.
- Restaurants in the restricted Local Authorities must operate under stage two regulations (take-away only!). Restaurants in other parts of Namibia are allowed to operate under stage three regulations.
- Nightclubs, gambling houses and casinos are not allowed to operate under stage three regulations.
Namibia’s Ministerial Coordinating Committee will convene as a matter of urgency to consider the implementation modalities for the recently approved Tourism Revival Initiative and operating modalities for restaurants, which recommendations will be tabled for Cabinet’s consideration. All points of entry and cross border movement of persons remains closed, with the exception of the transportation of imported goods.