(Posted 26th January 2022)
Africa Travel Week (ATW) is calling on responsible tourism businesses to submit their applications for the WTM Responsible Tourism Awards 2022 by 28th of February.
“With just a few weeks to go, we are urging all those responsible tourism rockstars to get their entries in as soon as possible,” says Martin Hiller, Content + Creative Director: Travel, Tourism & Creative Industries at RX Exhibitions.
“Considering the challenges our industry has experienced, we want to celebrate those who continue to make a positive impact and lead by example. Sustainability champions, changemakers, movers and shakers — this one’s for you!”
Established in 2004, the WTM World Responsible Tourism Awards showcases the best of the best in responsible tourism, setting the compass for the global industry to take responsibility in creating sustainable travel and holiday experiences.
Free to enter, the 2022 Awards is split into four regions: Africa, India, Latin America, and the rest of the world. The winner from each region will go on to compete in the Global Awards taking place at WTM London from 7-9 November this year.
Registrants can apply for the following ten categories:
- Decarbonising Travel & Tourism
- Sustaining Employees and Communities through the Pandemic
- Destinations Building Back Better Post-COVID
- Increasing Diversity in Tourism: How inclusive is our industry?
- Reducing Plastic Waste in the Environment
- Growing the Local Economic Benefit
- Access for the Differently-Abled as Travellers, Employees and Holidaymakers
- Increasing Tourism’s Contribution to Natural Heritage and Biodiversity
- Conserving Water and Improving Water Security and Supply for Neighbours
- Contributing to Cultural Heritage
“As a winner, or even a finalist, taking part in this prestigious initiative offers more than just bragging rights and boosting team morale,” Hiller explains. “The experience leverages increased PR and press opportunities to help build your reputation, with the opportunity to connect with industry leaders from around the world.”
The Responsible Tourism format at ATW this year is as follows:
- 11 April: Responsible Tourism Awards presented live on the Global Stage
- 12 April: Responsible Tourism Conference live at the custom-built INSPIRE conference
- 13 April: Workshop discussion based on the 2002 Cape Town Declaration on Responsible Tourism
“This year’s programme will not disappoint!” added Hiller. “Our team has been hard at work ensuring an exceptional experience for participants and attendees.”
The live conference will cover a range of insightful topics such as inclusive travel, decarbonisation, biodiversity, and local economic benefit. The in-person workshop will be facilitated by Harold Goodwin, WTM’s Responsible Tourism Advisor and co-author of the declaration, which will form the basis of the interactive discussions.
“Don’t miss your chance to be seen and to help shine a spotlight on Africa as a continent that truly cares for its people, places, and the wellbeing of our planet,” continued Hiller.
“If this sounds like an opportunity for someone you know, pay it forward by nominating them before on the WTM global hub before the deadline. Remember, winners don’t wait!” he concluded.
Apply and nominate here. Entries can still be submitted for Africa (until 28 Feb 2022), India (until 30 Jun 2022) and the Rest of the World (until 31 Aug 2022).