(Posted 22nd March 2022)
The Government of the United Republic of Tanzania through the Ministry responsible for Health for the Tanzanian mainland, continues to update prevailing preventive measures against the spread of COVID-19, including those related to international travel. In view of this, the government has released advisory No. 10, effective from 17th March 2022 to accommodate measures as follows:
- All travelers including Tanzanians, returning residents, and crew/layovers, must complete an online traveler’s health surveillance form, which can be found at https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz/ for Tanzania mainland.
- Travelers entering URT, including Tanzanians, returning residents, and those in transit through land borders who are:
- Fully vaccinated individuals will be exempted from both the PCR and Rapid Antigen Test requirements. Travelers will be required to present a valid vaccination certificate with a QR code for verification upon arrival. The only accepted vaccines are those that have been approved by the Government of Tanzania and the World Health Organization.
- Passengers not fully vaccinated, un-vaccinated, and those not eligible for vaccination due to their home country’s health policy will be required to present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR or NAATs certificate with QR code obtained within 72 hours before departure. If travelers originate from countries listed at www.moh.go.tz or points of entry will be tested for COVID 19 upon arrival using a Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD (TZS 23,000) for Tanzania Mainland. If found positive, they will be tested with RT-PCR for confirmation, allowed to self-isolate, and the results will be sent via email or any other means.
- Those not fully vaccinated or are un-vaccinated and have no negative COVID 19 RT- PCR certificate will be dealt with as follows:
- In case of air transport and international marine vessels, they will be tested for COVID- 19 using an RT PCR test at their own cost of 100 USD for Tanzania Mainland. Results will be sent to them while they are self-isolated.
- In case of International regional and inland vessels they will be tested by Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD, where a positive will be further confirmed by RT- PCR at a cost of 50 USD for Tanzania Mainland.
- In case of a land border crossing, they will be tested by Rapid Antigen Test at their own cost of 10 USD and, if found positive, will be handled according to bilateral and joint border agreements.
- Children aged 5 years and below will be exempted from both the RT PCR and Rapid Antigen Test requirements.
- Travelers to Tanzania who are eligible for Rapid Antigen Test as in Section 2b above are advised to pay online to avoid unnecessary queues upon arrival through an automatically generated control number obtained after filling out the online Traveler’s Health Surveillance Form. For those in Tanzania Mainland, pay through https://afyamsafiri.moh.go.tz. The symptomatic positive Rapid Antigen travelers will be isolated for treatment at designated health facilities as per the National COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines.
- Travelers in transit by air transport are exempted from both vaccination and COVID 19 testing requirements unless stated otherwise by the conveyance to be used or the country of their final destination.
- All departing travelers are advised to seek information prior to departure from their travel agent regarding the COVID-19 requirements of their country of destination or conveyance to be used.
In the event of any medical emergency while in the United Republic of Tanzania, contact the Health Emergency Toll-Free Number: 199